Phobias are a type of anxiety disorder, there are two types:
Simple or specific
Simple and Specific
The simple or specific centre around a specific be it person, animal, situation or activity. In general phobias are formed in childhood and may or may not become less severe with age.
Common examples are
- Animal ; Dog, snake, spider
- Environmental ; Heights, water, germs
- Situation ; Dentist, doctor, flying
- Bodily ; Blood, vomit, needles and injections
Complex are often more debilitating than simple and tend to develop in adulthood and are tied to a deep-rooted fear of a situation or circumstance.
Examples of complex phobias are.
- Agoraphobia – Fear of open spaces or crowds.
- Claustrophobia – Fear of confined spaces.
- Social sometimes called social anxiety
- Catagelophobia – Fear of being ridiculed.
- Gynophobia – Fear of women.
Treatment can be done in a relatively short space of time, something that has been an issue for many years can be cured in minutes.
I had a really bad phobia of snakes to the point I would turn the TV over if they came on the mere mention of the word gave me goosebumps and shudders. This was cured in less than two minutes and I can say with total confidence and congruence that my phobia is now gone.